Legacy Academy middle school students have the opportunity to attend an optional trip to experience the total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017. Before we allow your student(s) to attend we need parent/guardian permission and we will require payment to reserve your student(s) seat(s) on the charter bus. Please complete this brief form to let our staff know that you wish to grant or deny permission for this trip.
The Legacy Academy Middle School team is excited to give students the opportunity to see a TOTAL solar eclipse. This is a really big deal as the last total solar eclipse was 38 years ago in 1979, on the Continental U.S. (Pacific Northwest). The next one this close to Colorado will be in 2045.
We have a short amount of time with a lot to accomplish so here are the details of the trip and what we need from you. THIS OPTIONAL FIELD TRIP IS BEING OFFERED ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS (SEE LINK BELOW TO SIGN UP)
- When: Monday August 21, 2017
- Departure: 5:00 am (be at Legacy Academy)
- Return: 5:30 pm
- Where: AceExpress coach trip to Glendo Wyoming
Glendo, Wyoming is a close location to Legacy Academy that is in the path of totality (total eclipse, not just a partial eclipse). The road time up to Glendo is approximately 3.5 hours. Once at Glendo, busses will drop students off at the viewing stations provided by the town of Glendo. Upon arrival students will be provided protective eyewear to be worn during the total solar eclipse, eat their lunch and enjoy an experience of a lifetime. The partial solar eclipse will begin at 10:24 am, the totality is at 11:45 am, and completion of the eclipse by 1:00 p.m. At that time, we will begin our coach trip home.
- Price: $70 (includes transportation, protective eyewear, morning and afternoon snacks).
- Early Reservation Due Date: Friday, June 30, 2017
- FINAL Reservation Due Date: Friday, July 28, 2017
- Bring: Sunscreen, sack lunch, hat, water bottle.
IMPORTANT HEALTH NOTE: If your child takes daily medications, a parent must accompany their child. Regretfully, we are not set up to handle medications for your child before school begins on 8/22/17.
THIS OPTIONAL FIELD TRIP IS ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS.
PARENTS ACCOMPANYING THEIR STUDENT MUST BE BACKGROUND CHECKED.
- 5:20 a.m. Leave Legacy Academy (approx 3.5 hours to Glendo, WY)
- 10:24 a.m. Start of Partial Eclipse
- 11:45 a.m. Start of total eclipse
- 11:46 a.m. Maximum Eclipse
- 11:47 a.m. End of Total Eclipse
- 1:12 p.m. End of Partial Eclipse
- ~5:30 p.m. Return to Legacy Academy